The lords of Heverlee built the first Arenberg castle (Kasteel van Arenberg) here in the 14th century. It is an example of traditional brick and sandstone architecture.
For two centuries, the castle remained in the hands of the van Croy family. They rebuilt it in both Renaissance and neo-gothic styles.
In the 17th century it passed via Anna van Croy to the Duke of Arenberg, whose descendent Louis Englebert of Arenberg, nicknamed ‘the blind duke’, was a great patron of the arts and sciences. His heirs retained his love of science, and in 1916, Duke Engelbert Maria of Arenberg donated the castle and its 29 ha park to KU Leuven.
The castle is used by KU Leuven's Faculty of Engineering Sciences and is the pivotal point of a green campus for the Science & Technology group. The castle is open to students during the academic year, but not accessible to visitors.
There is a watermill dates from before 1286, in the Arenberg park. Since the Middle Ages, the mill of the manor of Heverlee stood here. The buildings and mill wheel are largely original.
(Source: Tourism Leuven; Leuven Architecture and Sculpture ), photos by Aslı Tezcan